[IAEP] constructionist challenge

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Thu May 22 22:22:02 CEST 2008

Papert:

"It is easy enough to formulate simple catchy versions of the idea of
constructionism; for example, thinking of it as "learning-by-making." One
purpose of this introductory chapter is to orient the reader toward using
the diversity in the volume to elaborate--to construct--a sense of
constructionism much richer and more multifaceted, and very much deeper in
its implications, than could be conveyed by any such formula.

My little play on the words construct and constructionism already hints at
two of these multiple facets--one seemingly "serious" and one seemingly
"playful." The serious facet will be familiar to psychologists as a tenet of
the kindred, but less specific, family of psychological theories that call
themselves contructivist. Constructionism--the N word as opposed to the V
word--shares constructivism's connotation of learning as "building knowledge
structures" irrespective of the circumstances of the learning. It then adds
the idea that this happens especially felicitously in a context where the
learner is consciously engaged in constructing a public entity, whether it's
a sand castle on the beach or a theory of the universe. And this in turn
implies a ramified research program which is the real subject of this
introduction and of the volume itself. But in saying all this I must be
careful not to transgress the basic tenet shared by the V and the N forms:
If one eschews pipeline models of transmitting knowledge in talking among
ourselves as well as in theorizing about classrooms, then one must expect
that I will not be able to tell you my idea of constructionism. Doing so is
bound to trivialize it. Instead, I must confine myself to engage you in
experiences (including verbal ones) liable to encourage your own personal
construction of something in some sense like it. Only in this way will there
be something rich enough in your mind to be worth talking about. But if I am
being really serious about this, I have to ask (and this will quickly lead
us into really deep psychological and epistemological waters) what reasons I
have to suppose that you will be willing to do this and that if you did
construct your own constructionism that it would have any resemblance to
mine?
I find an interesting toe-hold for the problem in which I called the playful
facet--the element of tease inherent in the idea that it would be
particularly oxymoronic to convey the idea of constructionism through a
definition since, after all, constructionism boils down to demanding that
everything be understood by being constructed. The joke is relevant to the
problem, for the more we share the less improbable it is that our
self-constructed constructions should converge ..."
- Situating Constructionism
http://www.papert.org/articles/SituatingConstructionism.html