[IAEP] [Its.an.education.project] An example on statistical dynamics on XO

Tony Forster forster at ozonline.com.au
Thu May 22 03:21:30 CEST 2008

Yoshiki Ohshima wrote

>  We probably talk about what and how to teach in a bit more concrete
> way.  I'll do a part by explaining an example in Etoys here.  ....
>  Any feedback and comments are welcome!  And I hope that the
> volunteers make such kind of examples (in any system they like) and
> accessible to kids and teachers.

Thanks Yoshiki  for that concrete example, I have taken on your challenge
and ported it to Windows/GameMaker at
http://rupert.id.au/schoolgamemaker/samples3/

Its interesting to compare the (constructionist) learning on a purpose built
sugar/etoys platform vs. a windows/GameMaker platform repurposed for
learning. I would like to leave the very valid arguments on open source and
monopolies to one side and just concentrate on the learning.

Etoys allows inspection and modification of variables and code on the fly
whereas with GameMaker you need to use debug mode or re-compile.

Sugar allows collaborative authoring and viewing (though I haven't had the
opportunity to try it).

The implementation in GameMaker is much easier, its particularly good for
kinematics.

Collaboration in Windows/GameMaker can work quite well (eg see
http://rupert.id.au/schoolgamemaker/computerclub/index.html) but the teacher
has to set up a sharing site and encourage the sharing of source rather than
exe, Sugar facilitates sharing without teacher intervention

My feelings on Sugar and Etoys are similar. Though they have good purpose
designed learning aspects, they need more work before they are as usable as
windows/GameMaker . The measure of good constructionist learning
environments is not so much all the good things students can do, its whether
a learner, once setting themself a goal for self-directed discovery, is
going to run into a road block.

An example of a road block in Etoys is that it is very hard to find how to
do a keyboard triggered script. Its hidden on the world menu which is alt W
or similar. Another is that there is limited support for collisions. An
example of a road block in Sugar is its inbuilt browser. I cannot copy a
link, I can't save a jpg, the Sugar OS changes the filename of a file which
it does not recognise, the directory system is hidden, there is no
predictive text when typing URL's or usernames, there's no tabbed browsing,
there's no cookie, proxy or popup control. By comparison I used Firefox on
the Asus eeePC and it was easy to do constructionist things like creating a
blog which Sugar just wouldn't let me do.

None of this is intended to discredit the wonderful things that the Sugar
and Etoys teams have done putting together really great learning stuff on a
shoestring budget. The question is, where there are limited resources, is it
best to aim high and produce stuff which is not quite classroom ready or to
repurpose existing stuff, like the eeePC has done with Firefox and Open
Office?

Tony