Culled the subject prefix

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Tue May 20 06:01:31 CEST 2008

Bernie Innocenti writes:
> ffm at cluenet.org wrote:
>> On Mon, May 19, 2008 6:20 pm, Bernie Innocenti wrote:

>>> due to popular demand, I dropped the overwhelming
>>> [its.an.education.project] subject prefix.
>>
>> Think we can keep it, but shorter?
>>
>> Like [IAEP]? It helps me visually identify them.
>
> I'd not be opposed to such a short prefix.  Let's wait 24h to
> collect feedback from the others and then change it as you suggest.

I really hate the prefix.

First of all, it eats space. It is common for people to have
subject displays that are narrow. For me, I often don't even
get to see the whole prefix.

Second of all, it turns into a big mess when things end up on
multiple mailing lists. If every list throws on a prefix, things
get huge. Worse yet is when every list insists that the prefix
really is a prefix, leading to stuff like this:

original subject
[Its.an.education.project] original subject
[other.list] Re: [Its.an.education.project] original subject
[Its.an.education.project] [other.list] Re: [Its.an.education.project]

That problem doesn't happen unless there are two misconfigured
mailing lists, but... why should this list get to be the only
mailing list with such a misconfiguration? That isn't fair.