SOMs and Constructionism

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Tue May 20 05:31:45 CEST 2008

> Thank you Gary. Really nice. I think your SOM visualization are the
> most human-readable I have seen. What software you are using to
> generate these? Is it open source?

It's been a personal project I keep dipping in and out of over a
number of years, no I've not released the code as open source (not
sure where I'm going with it yet). It's currently just a few Python
modules and that seems to be most flexible, though I could do with
spending some time optimising some of the code bottle-necks to C.

> Would it be anyhow possible to make the map interactive so that
> clicking the concepts could bring some  relevant texts snippets /
> quotations from the textual data?

Yes, probably simplest plan would be to link to a list of each term's
occurrence locations (as each term potentially links to many
locations). Generate HTML map mark-up for the final image label
locations, with each linking to a page, for each term, showing a list
of occurrence links (and some snippet text for context). Could be a
nice way to auto-document something organically changing like a wiki
where things quickly get out of control, but could be a way to browse
mail archives also.

--Gary