[Its.an.education.project] [Olpc-open] Sorry, what are we teaching? How?

info at olpc-peru.info info at olpc-peru.info
Mon May 19 23:30:44 CEST 2008

I don't know IF any textbook is used as a tool in the "teacher
colleges".  I think the system is different: almost all big and ancient
"teacher colleges" has a library.  Then the students are given a list of
textbooks that they need to read (from the library books).  The list of
"intended books" to be read is develop by the principal of each
educational department in the College (in agreement and by suggestion
with the main instructrors and old teachers).

In the new, and so many, "teacher colleges", I am sorry to inform that
there is not such a thing as a library and most of the time the students
are taught just by the information that the instructor (the master
teacher) gives to them: hear, take notes, and be ready to give an
examination.  Repeat the cycle 5 years and you will get a "teacher"
licence from the goverment.  Sorry to say this but it is the true.

Javier Rodriguez
Lima, Peru

(oh... I was talking about public eduation... private teachers and
private schools have higher standards... and... in Peru any person with
a professional title can be a teacher, if you are a Human Medicine
Doctor you can be teaching "biology" in a school, no problem)