[Its.an.education.project] Constructionism (was Re: XP on OLPC - a contrarian view)

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon May 19 14:30:01 CEST 2008

I did come to Peru (and plan on returning as well). I did participate
in seminars to introduce the Peruvian teachers to constructionism
within the context of Sugar and the national curriculum. I did not
find these seminars to be instructionist: they were very much hands-on
(the very first thing that the teachers did was to start using the
laptops for documenting their week) and the level of engagement was
profound. The week culminated with an open-house where each teacher
presented a project they developed that integrated national curriculum
goals into an XO activity. In Peru there are some great things
happening--a great potential being unleashed. It will take time;
mistakes will be made, but culture around learning is changing for the
better!

-walter