[Its.an.education.project] [Olpc-open] Sorry, what are we teaching? How?

info at olpc-peru.info info at olpc-peru.info
Mon May 19 12:07:41 CEST 2008

Dave Crossland wrote:
>> It will have other effects that we do not know about yet.
>> Gutenberg had no thought of supporting the Renaissance, the
>> Reformation, the Scientific Revolution, or anything else that followed
>> from printing. He wanted to print Bibles and other books that had been
>> written by hand before, in expensive editions for those who were
>> already buying books, mostly in the Church. Nobody knew that Aldus
>> Manutius, Martin Luther, and Galileo Galilei were coming, or any of
>> the others, nor what convulsions their productions would inspire.

Nope.  The French King that authorize Diderot to publish the
Encyclopedia ask him "who will cultivate our
fields IF the peasants come to the city to read the knowledge that comes
inside the Encyclopedia" and...
he ask too... "would not be too dangerous to put all the knowledge in
the hands of all people that can
read?"...  In the end The King authorize Diderot's Encyclopedia and that
was in some way the start of a
whole process that will end with the bloody French revolution (the base
of our society).
More than 18,000 people were sent to the guillotine and at least the
same amount die in prison without trial.
>> I would like to see their textbooks and have a community critique of them.
>>

> I'd be interested to hear if the textbooks are made by the Peruvian
> ministry, or by a private company. If its a private company, I expect
> that getting them published online for this kind of analysis will be
> hopeless :-(

textbooks are written according to the instructions of the Ministry of
Education.  Printed by the
goverment and delivered by the goverment (that is for public schools,
private schools need to
follow the curricula but they write and print its own books).

Regards,

Javier Rodriguez
Lima, Peru