[Its.an.education.project] Ivan's latest blog entry on OLPC

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Sun May 18 05:32:01 CEST 2008

Wad

> To the person using car batteries for storage --- bad idea, due to
> cost over lifetime

That's me.

Yes agreed, but the car battery looks better over a 2 year life which may be more realistic for a technology project, also it can be procured locally

> You also underestimated the battery capacity required ... Do you want to > run a single school server... with two days of reserve capacity ... one
> day reserve

I was thinking no server and not much reserve. I understand that a panel feeding directly into the OLPC's DC-DC converter may not start up, that's why I suggested a battery at all.

> The OLPC Multi-battery charger provides the electronics and mechanicals
> necessary to connect up to 15 batteries up to a 12VDC (or 90-240VAC)
> supply.

Can you provide costings for the charger and tech specs?

Thanks
Tony