[Its.an.education.project] Energy alternatives (comes from "Ivan's latest blog entry on OLPC")

info at olpc-peru.info info at olpc-peru.info
Sat May 17 07:40:31 CEST 2008

Hello Tony,

You are right in your calculations.   Lack of electricity is a hard
issue to solve.

In Peru, my country, there is rain 5 months by year, totally cloudy, day
after day.  Just 2 or 3 hours with some sun.  So, according to the
manufacturers, all solar panels can just provide from 5% to 20% of its
normal capacity (normal capacity is got in a full sunny day).

Wind? In the other part of the year, not the whole year, not in all
areas.  You need to add the cost of a tower (30 feet over the soil level).

My best bet is "mechanical" generated energy (human or animal force).
But, I think that we (ok, we!) need to provide solutions for the 3 ways:
solar, wind, human/animal driven.  And we need to add "water" (small
turbines) and "bio-digesters"  (for producing "biogas").  I think that
not all the towns and villages will be able to take this or that
solution, so we must have a full hand of solutions.

Easy to say, hard to do.  And money will be a concern (we are speaking
about providing a rational solution for hundreds of very poor towns... )

Let's keep working Tony!

Best regards,

Javier Rodriguez
Lima, Peru