[Its.an.education.project] Another set of thoughts

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Sat May 17 01:25:14 CEST 2008

Arto Stimms wrote:
> Have anybody thought about porting Sugar to Squeak? Then it could
> all run in a single runtime, turtles all the way down.

Yoshiki has already given you a good overview of the ViewPoints Research
Institute efforts. I would like to point out the OpenCroquet project
which is built on Squeak with an alternative world model (3D instead of
pseudo-zooming) and sharing model (TeaTime). This has been so far aiming
for higher education but I feel it would be great at the high school
level as well, so it complements Sugar rather than competes with it.

http://www.opencroquet.org/index.php/Main_Page

My own project is a low cost computer for children based on Smalltalk
all the way down (including the processor). There are several
differences compared to OLPC so, again, they complement each other.
Unfortunately I don't have anything better organized than
http://www.merlintec.com/ to point interested people to at this time.

-- Jecel