[Its.an.education.project] What would we do if we would be able to "rebuild" the whole thing?

info at olpc-peru.info info at olpc-peru.info
Thu May 15 22:25:40 CEST 2008

Or ... what we would do if we can travel in the time machine and build
the whole OLPC project again...

It is just an exercise... we are all grown adults (!) so if you don't
want to participate in this "deja vu"...

My "come back in time" would be related to some aspects of the XOs...

* I would use ONLY proven technologies.  I would separate the "new, lets
build it, let's program this or this other one"... There is enough good
that can be done with the technologies that exist until today.  I would
build 2 different teams: one assembly the "proven technologies" and the
other will "develop new technologies".

* I would install a standard (?) double boot system (easy to say today,
May 2008! I know... that is the advantage of "coming back in time" and
carry the "today's knowledge to the "old time" when all start.

* I would install a bigger keyboard (bigger keys... for bigger
hands!)... the kid will grow... and I am almost sure that this will be
his/her only computer until he reach 20 or 22 years old.

* I would extend the "wireless" range (50 meters) is not good enough,
kids should be able to travel outside of the village and keep contact
with their mates (or communicate with people of the other village that
is 2 km far away).  Then we would have a powerful communication tool for
the whole family.

Ok... enough for a start...

Am I a dreamer? Yes, you are too!

Have a nice day!