[Its.an.education.project] [earthtreasury] Re: The rest of the puzzle

Yama Ploskonka yama at netoso.com
Thu May 15 19:55:26 CEST 2008

> pay for power if it becomes available in this way? What other business
> opportunities arise in a village if there is a modest amount of
> fuel-grade alcohol available?

No opportunities exist in the present state of corruption, except those
depending on corruption, like drug trafficking, for example.  Everything
else is merely survival.

> I am thinking now of potato power. I assume that there is in the
> villages generally the knowledge, skill, and equipment for fermenting
> potatoes and distilling the resulting alcohol/water/plant residue mix
> into 95% ethanol. It is my impression that the uplands of Perú are
> excellent potato-growing areas. Hm, yes, potatoes originated in Perú,
> which has more than 3,000 varieties. I'll need to know the market
> price of potatoes in the villages, and the cost of the resulting
> ethanol. We will have to help to get the ethanol from the vodka level
> to the fuel level. Well, this
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_purification
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_purification> will do to get the
> conversation started.

You know, it's better business to do so for the vodka, and then use that
money to buy gasoline.  One little problem, producers might drink that
vodka.  That is why producing your own ethanol is illegal in most places
of the world, the government wants taxes on it.  So OK, you make a law
that people can make ethanol, but should not drink it, or should pay
taxes on it.  Sure.

With the levels of corruption existing, no one can realistically think
this will work.  I'm sorry, but that's the way it is.

> Another possibility seems to be a hybrid system using solar power for
> half the year, and microhydro in the cloudy/rainy season. Well, we
> must run the numbers and find out.

Well, double expense to begin with.  Again, won't pay itself because
there are no opportunities for business, because of corruption, etc...

> I have contacts in sustainable fuels, business, and engineering, but I
> wouldn't turn down any others that people here come up with. What
> mailing lists, social networking sites, and other places can we ask
> these questions on? I know that we can ask on LinkedIn.

Unless you have contacts with someone who can do something about
corruption FIRST, all the rest is moot.  Yes, they will spend the money,
they will get their picture.  Changes for the people?

The list of goodwill projects that have been a waste of resources, not
solving anything, is long and growing.  See and weep, and this is just
ONE list.
www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/IMG/pdf/MAE_BOLIVIE_annexes.pdf

> We also need a grant writer. Doubtless some of you can suggest other
> needs. Let's hear them.
>
>  > From a "practical" point of view... it was right (and it is) that OLPC
>  > worries about the lack of energy (electricity)
>
> Yes.

Jensen has announced publicly the matter was solved, with the hand crank
charger and with solar, in Peru...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classmate_PC#Comparisons_with_OLPC_project

> No. OLPC has done a lot to make the XO low in power consumption, but
> has done nothing, zip, nada, about creating power solutions for
> customer countries. It's odd, with all of the MIT enginering talent
> around, that Nicholas never asked the question, but there it is.

Oh, he did.  He did even spend an undisclosed sum on Potenco and
demonstrated in front of the camera.  And the OLPC  enthusiasts have
swallowed it whole.  But I don't think it is fair to blame him, but
rather our own gullibility and refusal to come forth when we knew that
made no sense.  I don't know when Potenco presented his report, but it
has never been made public.

Bottom line, even if we get the machine there, and get it to run, will
it train entrepreneurs?  or is it expected that once we have artists and
creators galore, someone outside will pay their salaries?

At least we can talk.  Thank you, Ed.  Sorry for being such a sourpuss,
but I call 'em as I see 'em

Yama