[Its.an.education.project] Ivan's latest blog entry on OLPC

Martin Sevior msevior at gmail.com
Thu May 15 09:29:25 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 3:22 AM, Pamela Jones <pj2 at groklaw.net> wrote:

> To me,  it's a matter of human empathy and figuring out what is useful and
> what is not. I don't think that can ever be wrong.   I do the same with
> Groklaw. Some things just don't need to be said, because they are unkind. Or
> they can be expressed in a way that doesn't disrespect a fellow human
> totally.  Some things have to be said, no matter what, of course, but in
> truth, not many.  So what I am saying is that there is a time and a place
> and a way.  If Ivan's purpose was to make sure no one ever helps OLPC again,
> that is different. For sure he will have a considerable impact in turning
> volunteers away. Was that the goal?

Hi Pamela,
                 I'm a volenteer hacker that helps to maintain the
Write activity. I heard Ivans story a little earlier than his blog
post. I did not find it demotivating, quite the opposite as I had
already assumed from NN's comments that the XO was being repositioned
as a conventional windows machine running conventional educational
software.

I found the latter prospect quite demotivating actually.

Instead what I found was a wonderful collection of really passionate
people who wanted to stay the course. I'll do my little bit and it is
quite inspirational to see how much more so many other people are
doing.

Cheers

Martin