[Its.an.education.project] Ivan's latest blog entry on OLPC

info at olpc-peru.info info at olpc-peru.info
Wed May 14 21:39:44 CEST 2008

Pamela Jones wrote:
> So, I think you did damage to those children by airing your personal
> views, which are  probably quite accurate as to the facts but that I
> don't think the world needed to know in such detail.

Sorry Pamela but... there is something called FOIA (Freedom of
Information Act) in the U.S., and we have similar law in Peru.
Furthermore, in Peru we have a government's organization in charge of
"checking" all what the NGOs develop in Peru.  IF the things (any thing)
are done in the name of the children, if many million of dollars are ask
as donation from the public, IF there is a ton of volunteer efforts then
WE, all, need to know EVERYTHING that happens.  In the biggest possible
detail.  If OUR private acts can not stand up and keep alive in the
front of the eyes of the public opinion then something is wrong, deeply
wrong with our acts and behavior.

This is not romantic.  It is just a normal and correct way to do the
things.  It is a cultural issue too: as far as I know Scandinavian
countries have more power in the hands of the people (assemblies) and
they have put less power in the hands of politics or bureaucrats.

I say this with the deepest respect for all the other things that you
have speak about in your mail message.//

Best regards,

Javier Rodriguez
Lima, Peru