[Its.an.education.project] The rest of the puzzle

info at olpc-peru.info info at olpc-peru.info
Wed May 14 19:37:45 CEST 2008

 From a "theory or how to organize and manage difficult things" yes,
electricity, energy, is a whole issue.  Many NGOs in Peru has work in
the theme.  All without success (success mean solve the problem in most
of the villages, not developing a technical solution.  There must be
strong reasons (economy?, publicity? opportunity?) because the available
solutions (until today) has not reach all those forgotten villages.

 From a "practical" point of view... it was right (and it is) that OLPC
worries about the lack of energy (electricity) and try to develop an
answer (without luck until this very moment).  IF there is no "energy
solution" then no educational goal can be accomplished, we will not
reach the poorest children.  Doing just the "delivery" of thousand of
hundred of computers (without taking in account how they are used, where
they are used, who are the ones that use them) is a failure for the
ORIGINAL OLPC proposals and goals.

IF we work JUST in what we know, JUST in what we like, then we can
finish like been a group of "big kids" playing only the games that want
to play, working on the projects that like to work, dealing with the
issues that we like to deal, reinventing wheels that move a little bit
better than previos wheels.  IF we don't address problems that affects
our educational project then we are just BIG KIDS, selfish, isolated
from real world, IF we decide to don't speak more about energy or other
things related to the project then we will end like a selfish and
egotist group of people.  I am sure that there is a ton of good hearts
and good people around the OLPC idea, so let's don't do a mistake and
don't close our eyes to the whole picture of the poverty (that includes
the lack of energy).

IF we can not reach those forgotten villages (because we are unable to
provide an energy solution) then we are just humans.  Normal thing.  We
are like our fathers and grandfathers that during the last 50 years.  If
we don't have a proposal for energy problem then we MUST stop saying
that we will reach the POOREST children.  All XOs are very welcome, for
all our children (poor, poorer  or poorest) but, at least in Peru, my
country, we should say that we will help some poor children, not the
"poorest".

Best regards,

Javier Rodriguez
Lima, Peru