[Its.an.education.project] Ivan's latest blog entry on OLPC

info at olpc-peru.info info at olpc-peru.info
Wed May 14 12:34:37 CEST 2008

Walter et al,

Let me tell you ONE of the many stories about computers and how they
have been used by
politicians in my country.  This can give you a clue about what can
happen with these XOs:

Year: 1983 to 1986 (I was an active participant in the computer
market).  The top official of the
Peruvian government was invited to inaugurate the first "computer
monitor factory" located in Peru.
All the media (TV and Newspapers) cover the big new.  The officials pass
once and again in the
middle of rows and rows of "monitors".  One day big news.  Sad to say
that the top officials were
busted by middle level government people because they were in a "TV"
assembly factory (that
were broken in the next year) and not in an "monitor assembly factory".

Based on this "we assembly computers in Peru" the peruvian government did
agreement with Russian government to "re-export" peruvian computers to
Russia (well... it was a
"re-export" of  Taiwanese computer parts to Russia... that was forbidden
by american laws in
those years, and 3 people from our maritime institute fall down to the
sea and die when they
went to check the amount of fish that the Russian ships were allowed to
take from peruvian sea.
All, including the "no checking allowed" was part of a global agreement:
the russians return
some papers about the peruvian national debt... those were bought by
some key people
that was near to the government.  All related because the russian team
to negotiate all these
happenings was the same: they negotiate as a whole).

I can tell you very bad happenings related with computers in Peru.  This
is not the first time
that I see computers that come to be the "magical" solution to this or
that poverty problem.
But this is the FIRST TIME that I see that they will come in such a high
number: 240,000
in total.  This is a big opportunity that I don't want to see destroyed
by the "lesse faire lesse passe"
(let them do, let them pass? bad translation... sorry) that is normal in
my country.

Our politicians are not like american politicians.  Very rare that they
are punished or
inspected or their facts analyzed (this is the first time in many years
that we have put in jail one of
our past presidents and the military that were under his service are in
jail too.  Some of
this guys got for its own pocket around one thousand million dollars
(1,000 millions... oh.. ok... a billion!) and they
took "American Airlines" airplane with 40 bags for a 3 days trip (they
didn't allow the
Xrays inspect their 40 bags... they argued diplomatic status...).

I have around 20 to 30 other stories similar to this, all related to
computers in Peru.  Politic people
comes and goes every 5 years, but we, the people that have develop
computer business and
internet operations in Peru, from the very beginning... we know very
well what we can expect.
No big news for us.  They change every 5 years and we stay here for more
than 30 years.

So... there is huge difference between American and Peruvian laws, the
same for the cultural
things, the same for the political things.  Only time will say if I am
right. But, let me tell you that
I don't have 0.0001% of doubt about what I am saying.  It would be a
miracle if things work
in a different way.  Miracles exists, for sure, but they don't happen
every day.

I thank my politicians (my congressmen) for approving the budget for
buying these XOs.
And I thank the government people that has work on the issue.  I think
that they do what they
can do.  The problem is that their best is perfect for political
benefits but too low for reaching
the goals that you and many others have in mind.  So we must help them
to get a higher
standard for their results.

What you, Walter, have done until today is terrific.  I don't have
nothing to complain about
your work.  You are dealing with Peruvian reality and that is not easy
for any person, local
or foreigner.

Now the ball is the hands of us: Peruvians.  I can, from a technical
point of view, develop
the next:
a) Alternative energy source.
b) "Sneaker net" for internet access.
c) Content for our children.

The problem is that I don't have time.  So I am speaking with some
universities that
can help me (help us) with these issues.  I know what I will get:
negative support from
some people that think that these OLPC/XO project must be develop by
just one
university.  That is normal behavior.  And I will find a way to deal
with it.

Best regards,

Javier Rodriguez
Lima, Peru