[Its.an.education.project] Ivan's latest blog entry on OLPC

info at olpc-peru.info info at olpc-peru.info
Wed May 14 04:07:20 CEST 2008

Ivan et al,

Just giving you plain info.

In your essay you tell us... "As far as I know, there is no real study
anywhere that demonstrates constructionism works at scale."
I agree.  But... there is a huge place to test how construccionism has
work in the last 8 years: Peru.

Las weekend I have been talking with my sister in law and another
friend, both are teachers and have small kids in the school.  One of
them teach in top high school (rich schools) and the other in public
schools (poor schools).  Both told me the next: 8 years ago
(aproximately) the peruvian goverment decide to follow the
construccionist method for the education (here is as easy as one person
in charge deciding this or that... then the whole system will move in
that sense).  They (the teachers) got order to take a special course
about "new education methods" that was basically construccionism.  The
course was obligatory.  Both teachers are from the coast and for the
coast area (I don't have information about Andean teachers... but I
suppose it must be the same because the education is managed as a whole
system... it shouldn't be... but.. it is!).

I can continue telling about all the questions that I have ask them (to
my sister in law and other teacher) but it was a long 4 hours
conversation and, of course, was not a scientific or statistical study.
I don't have very clear IF the construccionism has bring good or bad for
the teachers in Peru, but at least a huge group of peruvian teachers
know what it is and they have been, in some way, trained to use it in
the classroom.

Knowing my country, and knowing my own people, I can guess that the
theories of construccionism has not been well taught, deeply learned, or
are in full use in my country.  But... a statiscal work (taking aleatory
data) could be done.

The bad news are that our authorities take an exam (about general
knowledge) to 180,000 teachers.  Just 2,100 aproved the examination with
the minimum qualification (11 points over a total of 20) and just 140
aproved with a note of 14 or more (over the 20 maximum points).  So any
study about construccionism should take note the "base" over what you
are trying to develop construccionism.  It can sound hard but I need to
give you all the information (good or bad) so serious studies can be
develop taken in account all the sides and happenings.

Best regards,

Javier Rodriguez
Lima, Peru