[Its.an.education.project] Logo proposal

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Tue May 13 17:48:24 CEST 2008

There is a ticket open for part of this idea
(https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/6910).  It doesn't detail replacing the
XO with an avatar, but it does at least entail the rest of the
components we'd need to make that possible.

I think that using a photo, potentially in the manner the mockup
shows, is the most logical choice. Stock icons would be second, since
we could provide nice SVGs which still support XO color identity.
Naturally, it would be hard to allow the kids to sketch up their own
XO colorable SVGs (though certainly not impossible, given enough
effort).  My bigger fear, though, is losing the clear distinction
between "person" and "some other object".  The XO is a clear form,
which can be clearly mapped onto "some other person"; if we allow kids
to choose trains, butterflies, turtles, drums, and snakes, they could
easily be confused with Turtle Arts, TamTams and Pippys.  Keeping a
consistent form, whatever that is, for representing the "person" makes
it possible to display various types of objects in the same space
without needing other levels of classification.

- Eben