[Its.an.education.project] An OLPC Development Model

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue May 13 03:37:50 CEST 2008

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 2:03 AM, Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org> wrote:
> I have always believed we need Sugar.  One only has to watch a child
> struggle with a conventional desktop (Windows, Linux or Mac) to see the
> need

It's a lot more than that . When you contrast the current WIMP UI and
generic apps with UIs built for _learning_, it's frustrating to the
point of being ridiculous how what we know as "conventional" UIs get
in the way.

Having constructivist thinking behind the UI makes a huge difference
when you are working with kids. It has made moodle what it is (the
project lead is a fantastic programmer as well as an educationalist,
and he cares a ton about the UI).

I would not work in an educational project without a clear UI concept,
and Sugar is - in that sense - fantastic.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions