[Its.an.education.project] Sugar on the EEE PC

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat May 10 21:40:17 CEST 2008

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 10:56 AM, K. K. Subramaniam <subbukk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 10 May 2008 4:40:30 pm Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> The Windows-based EEE PC is going to be cheaper than the Linux-based
>> in Australia:
>>
>> http://apcmag.com/windowsbased_eeepc_cheaper_than_linux_one.htm
>>
>> I'd say this shows how scared M$ is ...

They have reason to be. A survey of ultra-low-cost laptops at
Liliputing.com shows slightly more Linux offerings than Windows. This
is the first product category where this has happened. I have put a
link and a summary on the Competition page in the Wiki. That does not
mean that Linux sales will equal Windows sales any time soon, but it's
still a very good sign.

> I am not sure. They are two different configurations XP+12GB vs. Linux+20GB. I
> suspect that existing PC channels are not geared to sell laptops below
> USD300.

The Eee's are $599 (Windows) and $649 (Linux), in Australian dollars.
The Windows model will be sold through general retailers, and the
Linux model through computer stores.

> They must be trying out price discrimination variations (or the old
> bait-n-switch tactic :-)) to boost up their entry level prices.

Rumor blames Microsoft. No explanation was given for supplying larger
hard drives on the Linux models, nor for charging $50 for 8 GB extra.
Perhaps they would say that the lower-volume product has higher
overhead costs, and are working on making that a self-fulfilling
prophecy. Certainly they acknowledged their current dependence on
Microsoft in the launch announcement.

> Subbu

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/