[Its.an.education.project] An OLPC Development Model

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Fri May 9 11:32:57 CEST 2008

On Fri, 9 May 2008, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 09.05.2008, at 09:59, david at lang.hm wrote:

>>> David,
>>>
>>> We must fix this....  Help greatfully appreciated.  It isn't very
>>> much
>>> work to get there from here.
>>
>> at the moment it doesn't seem as if there's agreement yet that this
>> does
>> need to get fixed. until the problem is acknowledged it can't be
>> fixed.
>>
>> unfortunantly my time constraints drasticly limit the code I can
>> work on,
>> so I am mostly a tester and a provider of resources to nearby
>> developers
>> (I just received my two g1g1 machines back from the USC hackathon)
>

> There is agreement that unmodified Linux software should run as well
> as possible in Sugar.

this is good. I have not received this impression from reading the list.

what about Sugar software running as well as possible on normal linux
boxes? without having to install the full sugar package and run
everything under sugar in one window. this doesn't mean that some
libraries won't need to be installed, but like running QT apps on a Gnome
desktop, you install the QT libraries, not all of KDE (and similarly
running gtk apps on a KDE destop you don't install all of gnome)

> There is no agreement that this would imply we do not need Sugar, or
> that activities written/adapted specifically for Sugar would not
> provide an order of magnitude better learning experience. That's the
> whole point of starting this endeavor in the first place.

I wouldn't expect for this to imply that sugar is not needed or that the
software stack you have been working on isn't the best possible for a
learning envrionment.

but if people are actually willing to seperate the activities from the
platform in a meaningful manner, we gain the ability to mix-and-match as
needed to find what really is the best.

David Lang