[Its.an.education.project] An OLPC Development Model

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Fri May 9 09:59:28 CEST 2008

On Wed, 7 May 2008, Jim Gettys wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 09:17 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 May 2008, david at lang.hm wrote:
>>
>>> ubuntu takes packages maintaned externally and picks what version of each of
>>> those packages to put in the main distro. the versions of these seperate
>>> packages are almost entirely independant of each other. they then do a lot of
>>> testing and some development of adminitrative tools and ship the result.
>>>
>>> unfortunantly much of the OLPC development has seemed to be against the idea
>>> of having external software run unmodified on sugar, and the resulting work
>>> to get anything running will hurt this model.
>
> David,
>
> We must fix this....  Help greatfully appreciated.  It isn't very much
> work to get there from here.

at the moment it doesn't seem as if there's agreement yet that this does
need to get fixed. until the problem is acknowledged it can't be fixed.

unfortunantly my time constraints drasticly limit the code I can work on,
so I am mostly a tester and a provider of resources to nearby developers
(I just received my two g1g1 machines back from the USC hackathon)

David Lang