[Its.an.education.project] lists.sugarlabs.org

Seth Woodworth seth at isforinsects.com
Thu May 8 05:30:33 CEST 2008

> Content organization is a hard business.  And subsequently, not a lot of
> > work has been finished at OLPC as it stands now.  To create division in
> > these projects would be detrimental to educational goals overall.  And they
> > would have little to no relation to the forking of free / non-free software.
> >

> It is not clear to me whether OLPC still wants to be in the business
> of content creation, for these reasons:

OLPC leaving the content creation (or as I would prefer to say: curation) is
the worst idea imaginable.   There are massive amounts of Open Content
available as low hanging fruit.  The potential benefit with a little better
organization could be immeasurable.

> 1) Nicholas says that it makes no sense to pursue the perfect
>  educational model;

I think that the general consensis is that NN says and what NN does have no
relationship whatsoever.  But I'm prepared to assume the worst.  And just
about everyone here knows more than I do on what the heck is happening
inside 1cc.

> 2) Nicholas and other sources said that the only important thing
>  for now is giving as many laptops as possible to as many kids
>  as possible; and lastly,
>
> 3) OLPC is apparently partnering with a company that provides
>  commercial content for schools!

If that *is* the case then there is room for an organization inbetween CC
and wikipmedia trying to put together, organize, tag, and distribute these
materials.  Because what's happening right now just isn't working

Moreover, should contents be bound to a particular brand of laptops?

 There is a for-profit group that is doing a middling job at packaging
educational and scientific websites for schools and for schools without
internet access.  There is a far larger business model for a group that
would do that for free.  I'm willing to help organize it.  Because it needs
a lot more organization before it could function.  But let's hope that it
doesn't come to that :S

Seth