[Its.an.education.project] Sugar on the EEE PC

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Wed May 7 22:56:08 CEST 2008

John Watlington wrote:

> The XO has a good reason for existance (MLJ's display, and attention
> to low power design).

I agree.  We had 1-2 years advantage over the others, and some
kickass researchers in house.

> Ignoring the fact that most of the new "low-cost" laptops require
> much more power ---

The EEE PC I have just bought heats up in the bag when suspended...
and seems to have a noisy fan inside.

> a serious problem in the most underserved areas --- the price trend
> is for the second
> generation of the "low cost" laptops to head back to $500.
> The Asus 900 has a suggested list of $550 ?

That's weird marketing... ASUS and Intel know they will have to
beat OLPC's offer head to head.

Please don't compare the list price with volume prices.  You have
to multiply by a factor of 1.5 to 2.

> A comparison of the possible XO replacements is provided as an
> attachment.
> The information comes from:
> http://www.liliputing.com/2008/04/over-past-six-months-or-so-asus-everex_24.html

Wow, there are way more than I thought, already.
And they missed this one:

  http://www.one2onemate.com/

--
   \___/