[Its.an.education.project] An OLPC Development Model

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Wed May 7 19:54:31 CEST 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On 07.05.2008, at 19:36, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>
>  > I'm not really convinced it should be a separate build. Just ship a
>  > set of core activities and make it really easy to install new ones (we
>  > have already everything in place to do so).
>
>  I hate the "core activities" idea. What are the core activities for an
>  education machine? The activities that distinguish the XO from all the
>  other laptops out there are regularly omitted from the "core". Like in
>  the new olpc3 build (*). There is no technical reason for this, and it
>  sends the wrong message. Unless someone wants to  convey that this is
>  just another laptop project.
>
>  - Bert -
>
>  (*) http://dev.laptop.org/~bert/olpc3-pkgs.html

Bert, the olpc3 branch has not been released yet and in fact doesn't
even *boot* yet, as far as I know.  It's where Dennis is working on
FC9 stuff.  etoys is not in the official Fedora repositories because
of CLA issues, which we all understand, but to fault Dennis for not
including something which is completely irrelevant to the FC9 porting
work he is actually trying to do, and furthermore, to make this
complaint against an *unreleased and unannounced testing build* which
*doesn't even boot* -- this verges on paranoia.  Please don't assume
that OLPC is somehow conspiring against etoys!  It is one of the most
heavily used pieces of software in our deployments, as far as I can
tell.
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )