[Its.an.education.project] Sugar on the EEE PC

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Wed May 7 16:43:29 CEST 2008

[cc += cahalan]

Bobby Powers wrote:

> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 1:11 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org
> <mailto:bernie at codewiz.org>> wrote:
>
>     wolfgang at rohrmoser-engineering.de
>     <mailto:wolfgang at rohrmoser-engineering.de> wrote:
>
>         Yes I made it work on a EEE PC using a dual boot configuration.
>         Sugar runs, but activities suffer because of the limited screen
>         resolution. I am waiting for the new Asus 900 Model.
>

>     I think I should remind Albert Cahalan about that discussion we
>     had on devel@ some time ago about getting activities to adapt to
>     different resolutions :-)
>
> What would you recommend to people developing activities?  Are there any
> best practices yet?

I wanted to put a few guidelines in our wiki.  Nothing too rigid,
such as:

 - Prefer vector graphics over bitmap graphics

 - Never hard-code pixel coordinates you could compute at
   run-time (such as 600,450 to find the center of the screen)

 - Avoid assumptions about the shape of the screen (4:3, 16:9...)

 - Test with sugar-jhbuild or qemu using different resolutions

 - Assuming a 1:1 pixel aspect ratio is wrong in general, but works
   on most modern displays

 - Use the layout engine of your toolkit to position GUI elements
   automatically.  Toolbars, menus and other containers usually do
   something reasonable when there's not enough room to display all
   the elements

 - Ask for a review of your UI design

 - Post your code for public peer-to-peer review

--
   \___/
  _| o |  Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/