[Its.an.education.project] An OLPC Development Model

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Wed May 7 05:48:34 CEST 2008

On Wed, 7 May 2008, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 8:52 AM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at cscott.net> wrote:
>>  The model is simple: fork and merge.  That is to say, rather than
>>  trying to maintain a single "upstream" that follows all the
>
> That thread you point out is a good resource to understand how current
> kernel devs handle things, and I agree with the fork-and-merge
> approach. Now, Linux is _one_ software project, and to an extent, our
> efforts are closer to what Ubuntu does.

they could be, but from what I see watching the list since I received my
G1G1 machine, many things have been tightly integrated that probably
shouldn't have been.

ubuntu takes packages maintaned externally and picks what version of each
of those packages to put in the main distro. the versions of these
seperate packages are almost entirely independant of each other. they then
do a lot of testing and some development of adminitrative tools and ship
the result.

unfortunantly much of the OLPC development has seemed to be against the
idea of having external software run unmodified on sugar, and the
resulting work to get anything running will hurt this model.

David Lang