[Its.an.education.project] Cleaning up the activities page

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Tue May 6 16:11:41 CEST 2008

On Tue, 6 May 2008, Bernie Innocenti wrote:

>> People new to wikis often find them confusing and and frankly hard to
>> navigate, definitely not intuitive. Let's not bend the people to fit the
>> tool.
>
> In my mind, this is the result of missing full time maintainers
> with a clear web design in mind.  A CMS by itself would not solve
> the issue; It could even make it worse.

Ding ding ding.  I see this conversation in Fedora-land all the time.  The
"real web site" people say "we need a real web site".  The wiki people say
"and just whom do you expect will maintain it?"

> For example, look at OLPC's institutional web site: the People page
> lists people that walked away, people I have never seen and other
> inaccuracies.  Journalists look at this shiny thing for a moment,
> then come back asking if perhaps we also have a web site with real
> content :-)

Yep.

Really, it all comes back to people to do the work -- and the more people
you have, the more governance you need.  And *not* so that you can "tell
people what to do" -- the purpose for governance is to know what people
are doing.  To know *who* is responsible for *what*.

In the activity space, we see a lot of similar problems here that are
similar to other open source projects.  The need for testing.  The need
for localization.  We must ask ourselves: why do people step up to these
tasks in other organizations, but not in this one?

I would posit that it's because people who participate in other
organizations are recognized in some way for their participation and
leadership.  For example: we started having community success in Fedora
only when we started to give *real, core responsibilities* to people
outside of the Red Hat side of the organization.  Funny thing: when your
name becomes very publicly associated with something, you will *bust your
ass* not to see it fail.  OLPC never turned this trick.  Maybe Sugar can.

Any possible Sugar foundation that depends upon volunteers should start to
consider questions of governance sooner, rather than later.  We need
localization?  Create the (unpaid, of course) "VP of localization for the
Sugar foundation," who recruits a team of volunteers.  We need testing?
Create the (unpaid, of course) "director of quality assurance for the
Sugar foundation" who recruits a team of volunteers.  We need a great
website?  Create the (unpaid, of course) "Czar of Content Management" who
recruits a team of volunteers.  Look at the number of VPs in the Apache
organization; it's insane.  But it's incredibly effective.  Who wants to
be the "VP of Failure"?  No one.  Which means that when you *do* find
people who are legitimately willing to take leadership roles, they will
work night and day to create success.

The future of Sugar will depend on volunteers, and on the ability of all
of us to get the most out of those volunteers -- including enabling them
to make Important Choices on behalf of the organization.  Learn from
OLPC's failures in this regard.

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg