[Its.an.education.project] An "About" statement?

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon May 5 20:39:39 CEST 2008

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Greg DeKoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 5 May 2008, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>  > Other than the build issues, which we are working on, what else do you
>  > see as blocking/discouraging people to write activities? Lack of
>  > documentation?
>
>  Yes.
>
>  It has seemed, from my (increasingly distant) perspective, that the APIs
>  have never really been stable enough to merit documentation -- any effort
>  in documenting code today would be useless in three months.  If that's
>  changed, that would be great.
>
>  And when I say "documentation", I mean "a handful of awesome activities
>  that are copiously documented in a literate programming style."

I am a professional API tech writer, and I have been a developer. I
would be delighted to work on this, if I could get the support I need.
What do the developers use now?

>  But if any part of the API is unstable -- like, for instance, the activity
>  sharing API -- then *all* of the focus needs to be on shoring that part
>  up.  Personally, I don't think that activities are all that interesting
>  until every single one of them can be shared in at least some small but
>  meaningful way.

Even if it's only letting others observe and comment. I have been
talking to developers about a number of other useful possibilities,
such as multi-channel Measure. Games need to have one chat channel for
players, and another for kibitzers.

A separate issue in the same application space is getting data from
one activity to another. Any sound source or any numeric output from
simulations into Measure, for example, or into a data visualization or
analysis program.

>  My $0.02.

$0.02++

>  --g