[Its.an.education.project] An "About" statement?

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Mon May 5 18:42:02 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 18:18 +0200, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> If I've learned any lesson in my years
> in Fedora, it's this: attempts to generate community are wasted if there
> is not an adequate architecture of participation to sustain that
> community.

Greg's absolutely right. It has been very difficult for volunteers to
get involved w/ OLPC for the last couple years. The learning curve is
very steep, esp. for less technical folks. I remember the hassles of
trying to get sugar-jhbuild running on my laptop 12 months ago, *the
suffering*.  It still is far too difficult to get involved in Sugar for
the reasons Greg pointed out.

It especially difficult for non-technical educators to get involved. We
need to work on lowering these barriers.

We would all love for kids to develop their own learning activities but
that just hasn't come to pass so far. We've been developing learning
activities w/ ETOys w/ the hope that kids could build upon our
activities and improve them. But the Squeak code gets complicated
quickly, and performance issues multiply like rabbits.

For now, We need to at least make it easier for software developers to
create activities w/in a short span of time.