[Its.an.education.project] Automatically converting xo bundles (Was: Introducing: Jonas Smedegaard)

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon May 5 17:26:36 CEST 2008

Edward Cherlin wrote:
> On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 4:52 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>>  Hi all,
>>
>>  You've mentioned interest in Sugar packaging/distribution efforts, so
>>  let me introduce myself shortly:
>>
>>  I am Debian Developer, part of the Debian OLPC Team, and am working
>>  actively in packaging Sugar officially for Debian.
>>
>>  Ubuntu and Debian software packaging is technically almost identical.
>>  More info on why I chose to not reuse the earlier efforts of Jani
>>  Monoses is at our mailinglist here:
>>  http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-olpc-devel/2008-April/000084.html
>
> Is there. a way to automate conversion from an xo bundle to a Debian
> package? Should we just let you deal with the process?

Dennis Gilmore, Fedora contributor and OLPC build master, has
similarly been working on an automated xo to rpm conversion.

We may also want to discuss simple extensions to the xo bundle format
which would facilitate such automated conversion.  There had been
attempts in the past to do so, but there was no community involvement
at the time.

[Let's keep the technical traffic on the sugar@ list, please.
Many subscribers of this list are either non technical, or just not
interested in such details.]

--
   \___/
  _| o |  Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/