[Its.an.education.project] Manifest

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sun May 4 23:23:37 CEST 2008

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 2:46 AM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
>  So what about _distributing_ non-free software?

Both Debian and Ubuntu have ended up distributing any software that is
legal for them to distribute, while making a clear distinction for
those users that want to remain free. So the purists and the
pragmatists can live together in harmony.

But do we need any of this? Will we need any of this?

Can't we avoid the huge effort that forking things entails?

If we
 - focus on work on a given distro - we can run a mini-repo with our packages
 - run our own git repos but request timely merges from the olpc team

we'll maximise the effort in moving forward, and minimise the effort
spent in things that don't really move us forward. Of course we can
"cut our own releases" with LiveCDs based on the combined repos, but I
would make every effort to work very closely to - say - Ubuntu or
Debian or Fedora.

>  Personally, I would recommend moving to GPLv3 to help ensuring that
>  nobody could use our software on a locked-down machine that would prevent

Legally lockout bitfrost via GPLv3's? Hmmmm :-(

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions