[Its.an.education.project] [OLPC-Peru] Too much "sugar" and too little "coffee": The real risks of failure for the OLPC project

Yama Ploskonka yama at netoso.com
Sat May 3 02:34:04 CEST 2008

Edward Cherlin wrote:
<snip>
> Constructionism is the first principle of OLPC.

Oh my.  That sounds harsh on the rest of us

 > Software freedom is

Sigh of relief

 > part of Constructionism. Students must be able to understand how their
> tools were made, and to improve them. I see that you do not agree. Do
> you know what Constructivist education is?

Hmmm.  No one really knows, because as someone pointed out, true
Constructivism has never been implemented in the field to this day,
especially under OLPC field conditions.  That's why we are granting
Constructionists the right to try it out, because the rest of us cannot
prove either that it will not work (because it hasn't been tried...),
while at the same time we are hoping the XS guys will have Moodle up and
running real soon, so we can implement what has proven works... :-)

Yama