[Its.an.education.project] Manifest

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun May 4 12:42:57 CEST 2008

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 2:22 AM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> Martin Langhoff wrote:
>  > On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 3:13 AM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
>  >>  So when we announce what we are up to, we can say "we, $NAME
>  >>  want to do $MISSION".
>  >
>  > Perhaps the Debian Social Contract is a good model (structure and
>  > style-wise). In a sense, NN is turning his back on OLPC's perceived
>  > social contract. The DSC was written as an answer to the perceived
>  > risk that RH would do exactly that.
>  >
>  > (You've probably been thinking of the DSC already ;-) )
>
>  We should adopt the DSC verbatim with this patch:
>
>   s/Debian/Sugar Foundation/
>
>  Anybody opposed?

I just now took a look. It will take more work than that. Consider

"We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of works that
do not conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. We have created
"contrib" and "non-free" areas in our archive for these works. The
packages in these areas are not part of the Debian system, although
they have been configured for use with Debian."

Are we going to clone the Debian archive structure? Wil we accept
non-free software into Sugar?

Also, do we consider the BSD license to be sufficiently free? I don't.
I agree with the OLPC insistence on GPL. But I'm willing to listen to
reasons supporting a contrary opinion.

>  --
>    \___/
>   _| o |  Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
>   \|_X_|  "It's an education project, not a laptop project!"

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/