[Its.an.education.project] Inviting Intel, ASUS, others

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sun May 4 11:48:16 CEST 2008

Is there a reason why a truly independent Sugar effort would not want
to work with other education and low-cost laptop makers?
I was thinking that maybe we should invite them on this list, because
they are likely to be interested in Sugar too.

The XO-1 is a really nice machine with a few unique features of its own
and a slight cost advantage over its competitors.  But soon or later the
situation might change.  A truly open and competitive hardware market is
a prerequisite to drive the price down quickly.

Several list subscribers seem interested in working with other
manufacturers; Some already started experimenting: Aaron Kaplan of
OLPC Austria recently hacked Wolfgang Rohrmoser's OLPC LiveCD and got
it to work with the Classmate:

  http://www.olpcnews.com/software/operating_system/sugar_on_classmate_pc.html

Next week my EEE PC should arrive and I'm looking forward to start playing
with it.

Does anybody have good internal contacts within these companies?
If you do, please tell them what we're up to and invite them here.

--
   \___/
  _| o |  Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/