[Its.an.education.project] Where do you want to go today?

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Fri May 2 17:52:00 CEST 2008

[cc list]

Walter Bender wrote:
> I don't think we can pick up the entire load of supporting the OLPC
> platform. OLPC has to do that. But I think we can maintain a great
> working relationship with the core Tech Team.

Agreed, but maybe we should ship a full OS image nevertheless,
at least for emulators such as QEMU.

Otherwise, how do we distribute Sugar for public evaluation?
RPMs and debs for the various distros?   It's a possibility, but
it seems a little weak as a demo...

We could endorse groups or individuals who want to provide Sugar
"distributions", such as Wolfgang Rohrmoser, Kurt Gramlich with the
LiveCD, and Aaron Kaplan with the Classmate port.  OpenWRT also seems
to be doing progress on OLPC support.  Red Hat may also be interested
to resume work on it.

> Regarding support, I am concerned that we'll need to support Sugar
> regardless of whether or not we "sell" to end users and we need a
> connection to end users in order to get the feedback necessary to keep
> grounded. Maybe a for-profit entity is the best way to think about the
> support problem.

Yes, it's a well tested business model.

The rest of the quote to provide more context for everybody else:

--
   \___/
  _| o |  Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/