[Its.an.education.project] Introduction

Kevin Cole kevin.cole at gallaudet.edu
Fri May 2 00:39:42 CEST 2008

Well, I've done it again... I've allowed myself to be talked into
subscribing to YAML (Yet Another Mailing List). ;-)

So. Introduction. Short and sweet -- well, short at least, I hope:

I'm Kevin Cole.  I'm a research applications programmer for the
Gallaudet Research Institute at Gallaudet University (Washington, DC),
the only accredited liberal arts university for deaf students
worldwide.  We have an elementary school and a secondary school for
deaf students, which share the same campus as the university.  We also
have six regional centers housed at other universities in the US, a
strong connection to deaf schools across the country, and an
international outreach arm.  The international folks have done work
with Costa Rica, Thailand, and various locations in Africa, as well as
other countries I cannot recall.  They deal largely with promoting
self-sufficiency in deaf communities -- for example, establishing
schools for the deaf largely run by deaf individuals, training
teachers of the deaf, etc.

I'm also the team leader of the Ubuntu DC "LoCo" (Local Community) and
host the OLPC Learning Club of DC here at Gallaudet every other month.

My hope is to generate more interest at Gallaudet in open-source
technologies in education, as both a recipient and a contributor,
though frankly, we don't have a very strong computer / technology
culture on campus at the moment.  So I don't know about the
"contributor" part, at least not initially.

Next...
--
 Kevin Cole | Key ID: 0xE6F332C7 (GPG/PGP)
 Gallaudet University | WWW: http://gri.gallaudet.edu/~kjcole/

 ". ! 1 |" -- Rene Magritte's computer