[IAEP] Running regular X11 apps

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 01:21:23 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:07 PM, Sayamindu Dasgupta
<sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:
> What happens when you try to make activities full screen in metacity
> (by setting the appropriate ICCCM/EWMH hints)  looks like
> http://dev.laptop.org/~sayamindu/sugar_metacity/Captura%20de%20pantalla_1.png
>
> If you set
> maximized = false, undecorated = true, you get
> http://dev.laptop.org/~sayamindu/sugar_metacity/Captura%20de%20pantalla_1_2.png
>
> However, in some cases maximized = false, undecorated = true,
> resizeable = true can make metacity assume that the application is
> trying to become full screen (apparenly certain versions of Adobe
> Reader and a few other apps do this), and then you get back
> http://dev.laptop.org/~sayamindu/sugar_metacity/Captura%20de%20pantalla_1.png

I'm not particularly worried about this one because I'm sure we can
work out a way to disable this hack with the metacity guys (at runtime
so that it can be done on stock distributions).

We could even just add a single --fullscreen command line option to
metacity which would:

1 Make all normal windows behave like maximized/undecorated
2 Make sure we don't trigger the fullscreen hack.

Actually this is exactly what the --fullscreen option does in
matchbox. But metacity has much better support for !normal windows.

Marco