[IAEP] Running regular X11 apps

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 11:19:05 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:12 AM,  <david at lang.hm> wrote:
> I'm looking for the cheap wins first ;-)
>
> when people talk about different desktops, doesn't this also imply different
> window managers for each one? if this is the case, then it should be fairly
> simple to define a window manager that defaults to opening the app
> fullscreen and has minimal (or non-existant) decorations on the window.

Nope, there would still be a single window manager.

> this wouldn't require changing any code on any apps, just selecting the
> right window manager for that desktop (if the app never opens secondary
> windows it doesn't need any decorations, if it does, it may need some or all
> of the traditional decorations)

There are ways we can implement different behavior for different
windows (for example the maximus approach could be extended to do so).
The problem is, how do we know which windows should be displayed
fullscreen (say the firefox or the gedit one) and which not (the
gimp)? afaik there is no window hint which could help us there...

Marco