[IAEP] evaluation report about the nyc pilot

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Thu Jun 26 15:34:12 CEST 2008

On 25 Jun 2008, at 14:18, David Farning wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 03:21 +0100, Gary C Martin wrote:
>> On 24 Jun 2008, at 16:35, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> this may be of interest to all the people that asked about reports:
>>>
>>> http://olpcnyc.wordpress.com/2008/06/23/ilt-evaluates-olpc
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Tomeu
>>
>> Thanks for posting Tomeu.
>>
>> If it's of any interest to folks, here's a self organising map (SOM)
>> generated for the report's text:
>>
> Thanks for this useful data... and moving it to the education
> knowledge
> base.
>
> Dfarning

No problem, nice to have a chance to be of some use.

BTW: I do have intentions to use the SOM code for multi-document
mapping. Goal would be to give a single page, automated overview of
all major wiki content, and some navigation to quickly get there. Plan
would be to treat each wiki page as a document and map it onto a space
for all wiki pages, a visual content map with click-able links. I'm
still pondering the features best to train the map on, the obvious one
for me is the word association metrics I'm already using, but it could
be useful to use in/out links as the features instead. Features would
then be a large sparse matrix of links between pages**, should be
quite doable for a single wiki.

** I imaging the map this would produce would be islands/mountains of
interconnected pages due to topic links, more related to the actual
wiki structure. Using word association metrics would give a structure
based more on the actual page content.

--Gary

P.S. David, did you see last weeks IAEP SOM? With it being such a
quiet traffic week, your Wiki admin updates made you quite the focus
of attention :-)

	http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Image:2008-June-14-20-som.jpg