[IAEP] [learningfromeachother] Re: Digital literacy to all Female Women Teachers in Kenya

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 10:13:55 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Dan Otedo <dotedo at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I have been reading with lots of Interest in between the lines, the
> "countless" words that have churned out idea after idea on practically
> this and that. Am persuaded, correct me please, that the greatest enemies
> of mankind is poverty, ignorance and disease, And we have a variance of
> these at different levels and scope world over.

Quite right. In particular, there are companies and political forces
that find it in their interests to maintain ignorance, and are willing
to let poverty and disease continue in consequence. Although they
would deny that vehemently.

>  Those of us who struggle to bring about change are not prisoners of
> conscience, nor have we withdrawn to our own comfort zones, but spare
> nothing to find real solutions to peace of mankind. This I believe is in
> league in thinking and doing which Janet observes in her recounting of what
> she calls Sam's "travelogue" (new word for me)
>
> Pam. I think I want to know more about your TT project. As a teacher (though
> I quit formal classroom teaching to focus more in my calling which is
> philanthropy) and one who loves working with the youth, especially skills
> building in IT especially how to use ICT4D, am quite interested having the
> materials you have used in the past and the, the lessons you have learned in
> introducing ICT to rural teachers.

You can also have the FREE materials developed for One Laptop Per
Child. For lessons learned, see the report from Ethiopia described at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Academic_Papers

> I have just developed a concept note which I gladly share and which will
> form the basis of my work starting August in conjunction with the African
> Centre for Women on ICT.

I would suggest a complete rewrite based on One Laptop Per Child
rather than Microsoft. I would be happy to assist.

"The ICT skills course will be based on the Microsoft Digital Literacy
Curriculum."

Microsoft's program is clueless and grotesque in its failure to
address the needs of the poor. Compare this 10-15 hour program

Computer Basics (Windows only)
The Internet and the World Wide Web (Internet Explorer only)
Productivity Programs (Microsoft Office only)
Computer Security and Privacy (Microsoft security is a very bad joke.)
Digital Lifestyles (Stuff that the poor can't afford)

with the One Laptop Per Child set of open-ended activities for
collaborative discovery, designed so that children hardly need
manuals, and with the OLPC Bitfrost security system.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities

Journal
Chat
Browser
Still and video camera and microphone with Record software
Write
Paint
Calculate
Music: player, editor, digital synthesizer
Pippy Python programming for children
Etoys Smalltalk programming for children
Turtle Art as in the Logo language for children
Measure digital oscilloscope with time and frequency domains

and lots more on the way. Most of this software is also available in
Ubuntu Linux, but without the mesh networking, ruggedness, extreme low
power, ecological design, and other important features of the OLPC XO.

>  Ministry of Education & Microsoft
>
> Concept Note
>

> Programme Title
>

> Realising girl child Potential through ICT: An empowerment programme for
> women teachers
>

> Concept:
>
> Microsoft through the Partners in Learning Program has partnered Ministry of
> Education - Kenya, and African Centre for Women in ICT (ACWICT) and other
> stakeholders to transform education through the use of ICT in Education,
> specifically to build the capacity of women teachers in ICT while at the
> same time addressing the Girl Child issues.

That would include

* Women's health
* "Female circumcision"/Female genital mutilation/clitoridectomy
* Women's rights: marriage and divorce, property, access to education,
dress, rape, violence, and much more
* Women in traditional societies

I recently met a Maasai chief at an Asante presentation. He wants to
end female circumcision among the Maasai in Kenya, but does not have
the authority to demand it. We are talking about education programs,
improvements to grazing practices with improved forage and hedge
crops, creation of software in the Maa language, and more.

> Partners in Learning (PiL) "Transforming Education"
>
> Microsoft Partners in Learning initiative supports the dual commitment by
> Microsoft to advance the quality of education and provide alternative
> channels for economic progress. By building partnerships with governments
> and schools around the globe, Partners in Learning works to integrate
> technology into daily teaching, learning, and research.

The Web site describes a marketing program for Microsoft software, not
an education program.

> Key programs areas that help educators employ technology throughout the
> learning process, and enable students to achieve their learning goals:

"Employ technology"="Buy Microsoft software"

At no point in the description of the program is there any mention of
asking children what their learning goals are, much less how to
achieve them.

> Innovative Schools
> Delivers expert guidance in holistic school reform,

Never defined, and obviously not actually meant.

> plus a roadmap for
> technology integration to help schools meet their education objectives.

More Microsoft marketing.

> Innovative Teachers
> Connects a global community of educators focused on 21st century learning
> and recognizes their exemplary efforts to prepare students for the future.

From Terms and Conditions:

PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL USE LIMITATION.

Unless otherwise specified, the Services are for your personal and
non-commercial use. You may not modify, copy, distribute, transmit,
display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, create derivative works
from, transfer, or sell any information, software, products or
services obtained from the Services.

NOTICE SPECIFIC TO SOFTWARE AVAILABLE ON THIS WEB SITE.

Any software that is made available to download from the Services
("Software") is the copyrighted work of Microsoft and/or its
suppliers.

NOTICE SPECIFIC TO DOCUMENTS AVAILABLE ON THIS WEB SITE.

Permission to use Documents (such as white papers, press releases,
datasheets and FAQs) from the Services is granted, provided that (1)
the below copyright notice appears in all copies and that both the
copyright notice and this permission notice appear, (2) use of such
Documents from the Services is for informational and non-commercial or
personal use only and will not be copied or posted on any network
computer or broadcast in any media, and (3) no modifications of any
Documents are made. Accredited educational institutions, such as K-12,
universities, private/public colleges, and state community colleges,
may download and reproduce the Documents for distribution in the
classroom.

MATERIALS PROVIDED TO MICROSOFT OR POSTED AT ANY MICROSOFT WEB SITE.

Microsoft does not claim ownership of the materials you provide to
Microsoft (including feedback and suggestions) or post, upload, input
or submit to any Services or its associated services for review by the
general public, or by the members of any public or private community,
(each a "Submission" and collectively "Submissions"). However, by
posting, uploading, inputting, providing or submitting ("Posting")
your Submission you are granting Microsoft, its affiliated companies
and necessary sublicensees permission to use your Submission in
connection with the operation of their Internet businesses (including,
without limitation, all Microsoft Services), including, without
limitation, the license rights to: copy, distribute, transmit,
publicly display, publicly perform, reproduce, edit, translate and
reformat your Submission; to publish your name in connection with your
Submission; and the right to sublicense such rights to any supplier of
the Services.

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY ORIGINAL CREATIVE ARTWORK, SAMPLES, DEMOS, OR
OTHER WORKS.

So you can't actually do much with what you learn here. You can't copy
software for students, or distribute anything to other teachers. You
can't post Free/Open Source Software, because these terms violate Free
Software licenses. You can distribute downloaded documents to
students, but you can't post them anywhere else. Microsoft claims
copyright and extensive licensing rights to anything posted here,
including the right to prevent distribution.

> Innovative Students
> Works with students to increase their capacity and interest to use
> technology as a learning tool.

No, in much the same manner as above. Increases their capacity to use
Microsoft software and nothing else.

> Policy & Access Works with policy makers, education leaders to formulate,
> review relevant and appropriate policies and strategies that support ICT in
> Education. Also create and raise awareness and facilitate capacity building
> for leaders to appreciate ICT  in education

Actually, to prevent consideration of more effective policies and
strategies that use Free/Open Source Software and cut into Microsoft's
market share.

> Summary of Action
>
> As part of its commitment to transforming education using technology,
> Microsoft through its Partner in Learning global program will roll out a
> 5-year programme that will improve the professional practice of women
> teachers in Kenya. The programme targets women teachers in public primary
> and secondary schools in Kenya. It will equip the teachers with the
> requisite ICT skills that they will integrate in their subject teaching to
> improve learning outcomes among learners in their classrooms while at the
> same time addressing issues around "the Girl Child".

It will totally fail to teach these women how to teach using
technology, other than to parrot what they have just been fed.

> The skills will also enable the women teachers to access knowledge and
> information on girl child Potential and utilise these to empower the girl
> child to realise her human Potential. Technology is therefore going to be an
> enabler in this 2-tier transformation model targeting the woman teacher and
> the girl child.

Any book on Web search techniques will better serve the teachers and
their students.

> Relevance
>
> A number of studies in Kenya recognise that the environments and
> interactions that most influence children's welfare and their enjoyment of
> human Potential or otherwise, are built around the family unit and the
> school (ANPPCAN Kenya, 2005; CRADLE, 2003). This programme will aim at
> empowering the girl child to realise her Potential at school. It will also
> examine ways in which girl child support systems involving the family can be
> created, particularly through established networks like the Parents Teachers
> Associations.
>

> This programme is in tandem with the ICT Strategy for Education and
> Training, and also KESSEP, both of which seek to promote integration of ICT
> in teacher education.

Except that they don't know anything about the subject.

> Microsoft recognises that the woman teacher is pivotal to the realisation of
> the programme objectives. She is likely to have, in the first instance,
> undergone, in one form or the other, the discrimination and violence that
> the girl child faces. The female teacher is therefore an ideal model of a
> success story whose experiences the girl child will benefit from.
>

> According to UNICEF, there is need to involve female teachers in training
> and capacity building to develop patterns of support and understanding of
> the challenges that girl children face both within and outside the school
> setting. Women teachers are considered particularly valuable and with proper
> training and motivation, can serve as positive mentors from within the
> community (UNICEF, 2006).

Typical UN bafflegab. The substance of this statement in actual
English is that there are some important things (to do with
unidentified "challenges") that girls learn better from women than
from men, so we should help women to teach.

> [...]
>

> Methodology
>
> The ICT skills course will be based on the Microsoft Digital Literacy
> Curriculum. This will be integrated with the appropriate girl child content
> to create an activity based, reflective training resource for the women
> teachers.
> The programme will adopt a phased implementation approach in the 8 provinces
> in Kenya. In each province, 5 districts will be targeted. Every school
> holiday (April, August and December), a total of 200 women teachers from 5
> districts will be trained. This will translate to 1000n teachers trained at
> the end of each year, which approximates to 5000+ in 5 years. The programme
> begins with the Training of Trainers in July 2008, who will then train the
> first batch of 20o women teachers from 5 select districts in August 2008.
> Potential implementation agency will be the African Center for Women in ICT
> (ACWICT). Various partners who will contribute to the programme logistics,
> infrastructure, content and other resources. They will include but not
> limited to:
>
> The Ministry of Education
> Microsoft East Africa Ltd
> The Kenya Institute of Education
> Teachers Service Commission
> The CRADLE
> Girl Child Network
>

> References
>
> ANPPCAN Kenya (2005) From Physical Punishment to Positive Discipline:
> Alternatives to Physical / Corporal Punishment in Kenya.
>

> CRADLE (2003) Promoting Justice for Children
>

> UNICEF (2006) Elimination of all Forms of discrimination and violence
> against the girl child: Report of the Expert Group Meeting
>

> Ministry of Education (2006) National ICT Strategy for Education and
> Training. Republic of Kenya
>

> Ministry of Education (2005) Kenya Education Support Programme 2005 – 2010.
> Republic of Kenya
>

> On 27th and 28th, we will have a workshop  in Nairobi with women teacher
> representatives from all over the country and am burning the midnight oil
> trying to piece together and develop  IEC material for the workshop.
>

> Am deeply excited by Janet highlighting you comment - "Some of us are
> working on appropriate teacher training materials. I would like to add your
> discoveries to them."  Most of all I want to thank the forum for opening my
> eyes to the opportunities available, the need to have meaningful social
> networks, and the burning  desire  to bring about meaningful sustainable
> change in people's lives.   You knowledge based love has surely conquered ,
> (just as  love conquers all is my deepest value). Andrius , did you ever ask
> me  question on  that  which I don't have an answer  to but would love to
> know?
>
> For this, kudos, to Sam Kongere who introduced me to Msl, Richard Freeman
> for his priceless advice and trusting on line friendship, Andrius who is a
> very bright fellow, a good organizer/manager, the list goes on and on.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

> Dan Andrew Otedo (B.ed.Arts )
> Administrator,
> Suba Youth Resource Centre(SYRC)
> P.O.box 18 Mbita Code 40305
> Kenya
> +254720366094

See http://www.sarvodaya.org/ for a holistic, or as they say, an
integrated plan combining village councils with women and youth
participation, building schools and clinics, microfinance, education
of many kinds for children and adults, road-building, and public
meditations by Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims, and Christians on each
others' welfare.

> which
> essentially means connecting one thing to another, and hopefully designing
> action plans which include a number of subject areas, as well as solutions
> which cover several bases at once, whenever possible.  Poverty, education,
> ICTs, peace and conflict, hunger, creativity, health, human rights are all
> linked in some basic and essential ways.  That is, the challenges
> themselves, and how we go about addressing them (singly, as subject
> areas, and collectively, ie as a larger whole).
>
> I am very interested in exploring these subject areas in our forums, with a
> view to finding/making linkages and developing action plans to address same,
> the result hopefully being a deeper and more sustainable development.
>
> I will pick up on your letters and the themes therein as soon as possible.
> In the meantime, a specific question for Pam:
> can you or someone in the WWP study group post to our forums a summary of
> discussions and ideas which this group generates, including those of Yunus
> too, of course?

Or on the Wiki.

> Many of us will regretfully not be able to "attend" the discussions, but if
> a summary or some type of synopsis can be posted, we can keep abreast of
> what is being discussed. And, even more importantly, we can hopefully use
> the ideas and discussions generated as the basis for action-oriented plans
> and projects.  Immense thanks for considering this matter!
>
> Andrius, my own school might be something like:  School for Synergistic
> Spirit (aided by cooperative creativity :)). I love the idea of HH being a
> "healing" space too, which I see synergies (linkages and integrations that
> help each part to build upon each other part, the whole becoming more
> healthy and sustainable accordingly) accomplishing.
>
> I want very much to focus attention on this and also on Afghanistan, Kenya,
> and other subjects, but for now there is an imminent crisis looming in
> Zimbabwe, where civil war seems to be a possibility, or at least a great
> deal of violence and loss of life.

Also violence against immigrants and refugees in South Africa.

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/