[IAEP] Sugar 0.81.3 livecd

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 18:46:30 CEST 2008

Hello,

I played a bit with the awesome livecd-tools for Fedora and I made a
quick livecd of the the 0.81.3 release.

http://dev.laptop.org/pub/sugar/livecd/livecd-sugar-0.81.3-1.iso

You can run it in several ways:

* Run it using qemu, with the --cdrom option.
* Burn it on a cdrom.

To get persistence:

* Install it on a usb stick using livecd-iso-to-disk from the
livecd-tools package in Fedora 9.
* https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator (supposed to work from windows too)

It's also very easy to rebuild it yourself if you are on Fedora 9. The
only "annoyance" is that you need root:

su
yum install wget zip
git clone git://dev.laptop.org/users/marco/sugar-livecd
cd sugar-livecd
./build-livecd

Known problems:

* Etoys and Write are missing. I will try to get them in the next release.
* The image is bigger than it could be since it contains many
unnecessary packages. I have the feeling that they are dragged in by
gdm, but I have to check.
* The gdm login is useless and annoying.
* Many useful tools are likely missing.

Marco