[IAEP] wiki team - status

David Farning dfarning at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 19:49:37 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 12:45 -0400, Eben Eliason wrote:
> I'm not sure this is a beneficial change.  While the section chosen
> does happen to be named "The Sugar Interface", the Human Interface
> Guidelines really shouldn't be split up.  By nature, as interface
> guidelines, the entire document applies to Sugar, which is in large
> part just an interface.  The pages therein are also setup with some
> advanced transclusion to make navigation and printing easier, so I'd
> be inclined to mirror the whole thing, or keep it in one place or the
> other.  It may be the case that it belongs at Sugar Labs (I haven't
> had time to update it significantly myself in nearly a year), but it
> should make it there intact.
>
> - Eben

Eben,

The more I looked at it, the more I agree the entire document belongs
together.  Then the Xo(hardware) specific information should be
extracted back to w.l.o.

I have the translation, printing, and navigation working on my test
site.  Waiting for a sysadmin to install the mwiki parserfunctions
extensions.  Seems like Berni has a lot on his plate.

As the original author of the HIG, I'll take your lead on how to handle
moving the HIG to w.s.o.

btw,  We are attempting not to mirror content between the wikis.  It
violates the single point of truth principle.  Instead, the idea is to
copy the material to the more appropriate place.  Tag it as moved on
both the original and new locations.  Then rework the pages from either
the viewpoint of OLPC of Sugar Labs.

On the other hand, Keeping administrative templates between the wiki is
critical. There is no sense reinventing the wheel.  If we do it
correctly, the practiced on w.l.o and w.s.o can be used by other sister
organizations as the develop their own wikis.

I probably won't be doing much wiki work over the next few day.
Instead, my Sugar time will be spent working on api.sugarlabs.org.

Thanks
Dfarning