[IAEP] Alpha API Docs are up.

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 04:49:53 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 4:31 AM, Marco Pesenti Gritti <mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 7:51 AM, Albert Cahalan <acahalan at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm also not seeing how I could call this from, say, FORTRAN.
>> Usually people explain things in terms of the C language, allowing
>> most any language to call the API. If you're not doing that, then
>> the next best thing is to describe things at the assembly level.
>
> You obviously can't call this in fortran, since it's python API.

This is extremely limiting. I hope you will fix it ASAP.
All API code should be language-neutral, since there is
zero chance of getting the world to agree that any one
programming language is the very best. There is also the
matter of existing code, much of which is valuable and
not at all reasonable to rewrite.

>> I couldn't find anything related to the journal. I'd like to see
>> an explanation of how to implement an alternate journal. Suppose
>> that I wanted to write a replacement. What are all the interfaces
>> that need to be implemented? Assume the replacement will be written
>> in some other language, possibly COBOL. How does the replacement
>> get installed and take over?
>
> The journal API is exposed through dbus. We will likely document it on the wiki.

Great. Please don't forget the "take over" part. The replacement
needs to appear on the home screen and get all the Bitfrost
privs that the current journal gets. The idea is that a user could
even uninstall the current journal and convert the database to
the format used by his journal replacement.