[IAEP] sugar on standard laptops

Joel Stanley joel.stanley at adelaide.edu.au
Mon Jun 9 14:59:57 CEST 2008

Hello List,

I've been in discussions with local teachers who are interested in
using Sugar in the classroom.  We are looking at using conventional
laptops for the task, due to the ease of acquiring them over other
options.

What work needs be done to get Sugar on $distro working?  From my
experimentation, it works, but there are areas where improvement would
change the situation from works to rocks.  Bernie mentions some of
these below:

Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
>> Do you think sugar-on-{debian, ubuntu, fedora} is mature enough to do
>> put it in the hands of kids in a months time?  Who shall we talk to
>> about this?
>
> We're not quite there, actually.  The major issues I see are:
>
> - there are DPI problems when Sugar runs on different resolutions...
>  Marco knows the issue and how to fix it.
>
> - nobody (afaik) ever packaged sugar to autologin at power on.
>  On Debian, I even had to configure the X session to start Sugar
>  on my own.
>
> - I think the presence service, ohm, and other daemons need some
>  integration work.

To those doing the great Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora packaging work; are
you aware of the extra integration of daemons that Bernie mentions?

For example, I hadn't thought about ohm.  Should someone spend time on
that, or would using something like gnome-power-manager - which has a
lot more usage, afaik, than ohm - make more sense?

Joel