[IAEP] information - 65 uk pounds (90 euros) laptop report

Christoph Derndorfer e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jul 30 07:34:02 EDT 2008

Sameer Verma schrieb:
> alan c wrote:
>> extract:
>> Taiwanese vendor Carapelli has taken the wraps off what it claims is
>> the world's cheapest laptop, coming in at just £65.
>>
>> The Impulse NPX-9000, which has a seven inch screen, is light on
>> specifications with a 400MHz processor,
>
> Its a 400 MHz MIPS processor, not an x86. I have a 450MHz MIPS that runs
> reasonably well as a server (Cobalt Qube 2) with 128MB RAM. See
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIPS_architecture for MIPS processors.
> Incidentally, support for Cobalt Qube 2 ran out years ago, so I run
> Debian on it.

As I've previously said elsewhere:

You're not going to have too much fun with that 400 MHz MIPS processor.
Even if the Linux distro running on this machine (did anyone see which
one it is?) is heavily optimized the system is going to pretty damn slow
compared to the Geode LX700 in the XO or other low-cost x86 laptops when
it comes to overall system performance.

Cheers,
Christoph

--