[IAEP] [FM Discuss] Book sprint aug 16-23

Bobby Powers bobbypowers at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 11:06:05 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 4:56 PM, Christoph Derndorfer
<e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
> (also CC'ing the grassroots mailing-list and Adaml Holt on this discussion)
>
> As ever so often too much time is spent discussing things instead of
> actually getting anything done...
>
> In general I'm not too happy about this sprint being so 1CC-centric.
> Realistically a lot of the contributors you would  really want to have for
> such a sprint are not going to be able to fly in from Europe, Africa, South
> America or Asia, especially on such short notice and with details such as
> reimbursement as always being very much up in the air.
>
> What's likely going to happen if the event indeed takes place is that a
> bunch of people (my estimate: 5~7) will be in Boston for a couple of days
> and if we're lucky a beta-version of whatever documentation is produced will
> be available by the end of the sprint on August 23. In my humble opinion
> that's too little too late, especially when you consider localization and
> translation.
>
> I would much rather suggest that we come up with a consensus on what
> documentation is actually needed by the end of this week (July 13) and then
> give ourselves another 2 weeks (until July 27) to actually produce some
> usable first draft documentation (alpha if you will). Based on those initial
> documents we can talk about the future roadmap, gather community feedback,
> look for translators, etc.

Can we do both?  One of the advantages of a sprint is that people are
together, in a specific location, for the express purpose of
documenting.  We need to figure out what kid of documentation we're
aiming at anyway, so doing it by the end of the week sounds like a
good idea.  Can we get firm commitments, with expected number of
man/woman-hours people can work on this over the next 2 weeks (for the
first draft documentation)?

> In general I also very much agree with Adam's comments on "editing
> documentation benefits from very individual stewardship/editorship.  IE
> overly distributing this among dozen(s) could get messy."
>
> Anyway, regardless of the discussion here I'll be working on documenting
> 'record' over the next couple of days and then we'll see what happens...

Dan has been working on Record to get it working on the latest
joyrides.  I'm cc'ing him just in case any of the interface will be
changing.

thanks for your thoughts!

yours,
Bobby