[IAEP] [Educators] posting

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 08:53:31 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Benjamin, Thomas
<THOMAS.BENJAMIN at det.nsw.edu.au> wrote:
> Edward,
>
> I presume it is you who has responded?  What I can put up on a Wiki
> would be  discussion about game/virtual world development and plenty of
> sample materials.

Excellent. You should look at our game activities, at
http:wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Software.

> I presume they would not be
> able to run Microsoft Office Excel and PowerPoint so I would not be
> describing the tools I've developed for those.

There is a version of XP for the XO. We know almost nothing about it,
so you would have to talk to Microsoft.

We have a Write activity based on AbiWord, and a document reader that
can handle PDFs. We can't work with PowerPoint files at present.

> Rather, I would discuss the more generic versions based on simple
> principles that can be applied to any sort of software. Even there,
> however, I need to know whether the laptop software can play transparent
> animated .gif's, for example.

Our Browse activity, based on XulRunner, can render the common file formats.

> Is there an equivalent of MediaPlayer or
> Quicktime that can play movies

Gnash.

> and what will be the preferred movie
> formats.

Ogg Theora

> Clearly, to distribute via the Web requires compressed formats,
> most of which are proprietary. Open source ones might be beyond my
> capability so someone might have to convert them.

We can arrange that.

> My toolbox is scalable to pretty much any level of technology but I want
> to pitch it at just the right level so people actually use the ideas.

We do most development in Python. Can your toolbox interoperate with
Python? Do you have a defined API that our Python programmers can use?

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/