[IAEP] Powerful ideas in the classroom

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at creativecommons.org
Tue Jul 8 08:04:29 CEST 2008

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008, Edward Cherlin wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 9:16 PM, Kim Rose <kim.rose at vpri.org> wrote:
>> When we first published the book in 2003 the situation at Viewpoints
>> Research and with my co-author,  BJ Conn were quite different than they are
>> today.  The olpc initiative, organization and the XO computer did not exist.
>>  At that time we were thinking more traditional "print media" - hence the
>> traditional copyright notice in the printed hard-copy book.
>>
>>  -- Kim
>
> Would your publisher be willing to put the electronic version under a
> Creative Commons license?

First of all, if you have a separate copyright in the work not given to
the publisher, obviously don't waste your time talking to them - stick to
the permission grant you can make for your copyright.

If you do choose a Creative Commons license, please choose one of the more
liberal ones - http://freedomdefined.org/Definition explains the
Definition used by the Wikimedia Foundation's projects.  It would be a
strange situation if (for example) private schools weren't allowed to
distribute a translated version, or weren't allowed to ask their students
to offset the costs of a printed version.

I would suggest the Creative Commons Attribution license, which simply
requires credit ("attribution") be given where copies are made.  The
Attribution Share-Alike license is another reasonable choice: it has a
GPL-style copyleft provision where works that are based on yours have to
be available under the same license.

I'm sure SJ and others on this list could have more to say; I will hope
that this message suffices and this thread doesn't devolve into "The Joys
of Licensing".

(Keep in mind that this is a *personal* recommendation, not an official
recommendation from Creative Commons.  We don't provide legal advice nor
free houseplants.  I am not representing Creative Commons or the Tennessee
Valley Authority in this message.)

-- Asheesh.

--
I told my kids, "Someday, you'll have kids of your own."  One of them said,
"So will you."