[IAEP] Its.an.education.project Digest, Vol 4, Issue 8

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Mon Jul 7 12:56:23 CEST 2008

>The power of the Sugar activities is in the opportunities they give for
>self-directed problem-based learning. Achieving this is much more about how
>teachers "set up" their classes and not about following a preset plan.
>Self-directed problem-based learning does not always follow a preset plan,
>the teacher, the "guide on the side" gives things a nudge from time to time,
>more recognising when learning is working well than following a preset plan.

Tony, we are comparing apples w/ oranges here. Your situation in
Australia resembles in almost no aspect the situation of a typical
Nepali school. Your advice may be great for a western school but it is
not very applicable to Nepali schools for cultural, economic, and social
reasons.

The Sugar activities offer many opportunities and one of them is
self-directed problem-based learning. To most Nepali kids the laptops
offer the largest library they have ever had access to. Interactive
lessons for basic skills. all things that western children often take
for granted.

The teachers here in Nepal do not have nearly the professional freedom,
resources, nor training that you and your colleagues in Australia have.
It isn't really fair to compare them w/ yourself or recommend they jump
from their current 100% instructionist method to your interpretation of
constructionism.

>Students, teachers, administrators and parents all have expectations of what
>school is about and these are usually more didactic than the learning
>offered by Sugar activities.

And we have to work w/ these expectations, not circumvent them if we want to achieve
any kind of success.

>See Bill Kerr's blog. He talks of creating an environment where students
>know they can demand the whiteboard markers from him at any time and work
>things out at the front of the class and how this took weeks.

Again, the culture at Bill's school is radically different from 99.9% of
all schools in Nepal. The culture here is very conservative and hierarchical.
We aren't going to change this over night or even in several years.

>So in summary I don't think lesson plans and textbooks are needed so much as
>case studies of teachers who understand the art of teaching well.

Your advice applies well to well-funded western schools but I do not think it
applies to most schools in the developing world nor does it fit into their cultural
contexts.

Message: 4